Simply put Breast Expansion (commonly abbreviated to BE) is a fetish - though more accurately described as a paraphilia - revolving around the growth of breasts.
The relative importance of the final size vs. the process varies considerably between individuals
For most fans of BE, the Expansion is an essential part of the story. Stories about women with huge breasts -- even room-filling ones -- aren't really satisfying if the story doesn't show them growing to that size.
On the other hand, if you are a fan of huge breast stories, then you may read BE stories mainly for the end result and less so for the process that gets them there. Or merely the appreciation of Big Bust Stars.
In the early days (until the launch of the Breast Expansion Archive?), "breast enlargement" was the term most commonly used, rather than "breast expansion". This should be kept in mind if searching general pornographic story archive sites for really old material.
The pre-history of the online BE community. There is for all intents and purposes no community. However material of interest to the BE fetishist occasionally appears in the traditional media. For example, the erotic comic strip Little Ego includes a story devoted to BE in 1985. See Breast Expansion in Offline Fiction for more information.
Though the term "BE" has not yet been coined, by 1993 there is enough interest for an informal "unexpectedly-enlarged-breasts" contest to be proposed by Dr. Enlarge on the newsgroup alt.sex.stories (he used the alias "Fulfiller of Dreams" for this post). One entry is the story "Enlarging Breasts", posted to the newsgroup in June, 1993 by Mike Ikemoto. "The Mistake", by Douglas Freese, appears the following month. "Gold and Green", by an anonymous author, is posted in August.
- April - The first episode of the Dr. Hooters saga is written and is posted to alt.sex.stories.
- December - Acotto's FTP site opens.
- The novel Sadira appears.
- September - Research & Development begins as an emailed BE newsletter.
- Acotto's FTP quickly gains great popularity but this precipitates its downfall as costs become too much and the site is brought down in July, leading almost immediately to a vacuum in the community that many try to fill.
- Wren Spot story archive opens.
- June - The first incarnation of the Breast Expansion Archive is created by The Owner, initially dubbed the Breast Expansion Story Archive. It finally replaces Acotto's FTP as the singular definitive BE site for the community.
- Strikr forms the first BE chatroom - #!!BE_Loft on DALnet.
- July - The first Continuous Story - a precursor to the Addventure - begins at the BEA, "The Amulet".
- September - Ladybumps opens.
- June - The BEA becomes host to The Unending BE Addventure. Due to the branching nature of the Addventure its immediate predecessor - continuous stories - rapidly spiral into irrelevance and are soon abandoned.
- The first BEAmer Story Awards are given out at the BEA.
- April - Lightfoot completes the first chapter of his webcomic Pulse - the first regular BE webcomic of its type. The entire chapter was posted at once to the BEA user gallery, with The Stone of Adventure website being created to host the comic in late June.
- The BEA Story Contest is created, the first contest that gives out cash prizes for BE stories.
- November - The increasingly sporadic story updates of MarkT's Story Archive leads to a frustrated Mr. HHH starting The Overflowing Bra to provide a venue for authors to upload their own stories. It quickly establishes itself as the de facto BE story archive. He begins a regular tradition of commissioning new BE artwork to be featured on his site's index page coincident with the time of year.
- The Mansion of Midnight Eyes closes suddenly.
- October - MarkT's Story Archive updates for the last time.
- The Owner opens the Breast Expansion Story Club, which is paysite dedicated to producing 10,000 words of illustrated stories a month.
- WLP publishes the second issue of The Magnificent Milkmaid six years after the first, its sales are sufficiently low that WLP transitions away from traditional print to a webcomic format.
- The BESC produces its first comic, Dream Girl, which becomes an instant hit and begins the gradual move toward comic orientated output.
- The Overflowing Bra inaugurates the Busty Lusty Breast Expansion Story Contest, a contest similar to the BEA's contest created in 2000, with Bill Pratt winning the first contest with his story "G.M. Foods".
- February - Prophet Tenebrae begins his Female Transformation Blog, which becomes FTF10 in a matter of months.
- April - Research & Development updates for the last time.
- February - To celebrate the third anniversary of FTF10, the FTF10pedia is officially launched with the task of covering all significant persons, sites, genres and events in the female transformation community.
- July - The Stone of Adventure updates for the last time. The content is removed months later.